Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Killer gluten-free cupcakes in Greenville, SC!

Greenville, SC is really coming up in the world in terms of gluten-free offerings.  When I found out my in-laws were moving there, I was concerned that I might be hard pressed to find many places in the area that would float my gluten-free boat so to speak.  While I've only dined out up there once so far, at Larkin's on the River (which was beyond amazing!!!!), there are more gluten-free friendly places than one might think would be the case.  I hope to get to try more places in the area eventually!

For now, I can happily share that I had one of the best gluten-free cupcakes I've had at any bakery at The Chocolate Moose in downtown Greenville.  While checking out the cute shops on main street, I went into the bakery to inquire about gluten-free offerings just for kicks.  I had no idea that the place had gluten-free cupcakes on Tuesdays and Saturdays and was shocked - and tickled - that they had gluten-free chocolate chip cupcakes that day, served with my choice of frosting.

For some odd reason, I chose  key lime frosting just because I could. Admittedly, this combination wasn't the best I've had, but both the cake and the frosting were excellent on their own and interesting together!  The cupcake was actually so moist and tasty that I started thinking maybe they gave me a gluten treat by mistake. My husband tasted it and thought the same thing.  I found out a couple of hours that in fact, the cupcake was 100% gluten-free!

It's super easy to bake your own amazingly delicious gluten-free cupcakes at home, but I find that this treat at bakeries can be hit or miss. The places that do it right make the gluten-free cakes first thing in the morning which might be at 3 am.  By the time I have one at 2 pm, the cake part can be dry depending on how and where the cupcakes are stored.  Whatever The Chocolate Moose is doing is what every bakery should be doing!  All I know about their flour blend is that among other things, it contains millet which is a very healthy grain.

From now on, our first stop in Greenville (if we arrive on Saturday) will be The Chocolate Moose - no doubt!

   

Gluten-free in a pandemic? No problem!

Not to make light of the current situation the world finds itself in, but I'm so thankful that I learned to self isolate when I was diag...