Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Gluten-free in a pandemic? No problem!

Not to make light of the current situation the world finds itself in, but I'm so thankful that I learned to self isolate when I was diagnosed with celiac in 2006.  It took me a good month just to figure out what and was not gluten-free.  Once I felt like I could feed myself safely at home, I started researching how to dine out safely.  The latter task was much harder than the former, but eventually I found others to help me learn the gluten-free ropes.  In the end, it would be more than a year before I got the hang of how to live my new gluten-free life.  From attending weddings to funerals and most everything in between, my new normal was finally set. 

So when the world started to seem like it was spinning out of control, due to some strange new virus, I immediately had a sense of familiarity.  Once again, things were not as I'd always known them.  Once again things were confusing.  Once again, I felt somewhat like an alien who'd landed on a very strange planet.  And most importantly, once again, I knew there was much work to do. 

In the coming weeks, my goal is to help people enjoy the holidays as safely as possible.  This isn't going to be a great holiday season for many families.  In fact, it's going to be overwhelmingly sad.  But there is hope for a better tomorrow.  I can't allow myself to think otherwise.  

Please stay safe and follow the science on this one - your life might literally depend on it. 


#wearamask

#washyourhands

#watchyourdistance





  

Gluten-free in a pandemic? No problem!

Not to make light of the current situation the world finds itself in, but I'm so thankful that I learned to self isolate when I was diag...