Monday, September 8, 2014

Easy peasy guacamole

Until recently, I'd never made homemade guacamole.  I'm not sure why that is, but I do know I've been missing out on having delicious guacamole any time I have a hankering for it...for no good reason other than laziness!  So far I've made two versions, this one from Delight Gluten-Free and my own version which is a basic guacamole recipe with a small twist.

Since there are only two people in our house, this is a small batch which we can eat before it turns brown.  It should be at least doubled for a 'normal' sized recipe.  This is good enough to eat with a spoon, but I try to refrain from doing that...honestly, I do!  It's great to use as a dip for chips, in a taco salad or as a topping for turkey burgers and grilled chicken.  Because I've seen so many positive reviews of 'guacamole' deviled eggs, I used it that way as well. And I learned that I don't care for boiled eggs and guacamole together - at all.

Homemade Guacamole

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 Haas avocados. peeled and seed removed
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 small white (or yellow) onion
  • 6 strips of roasted red pepper (I used the jar variety)
  • minced green chilies (or jalapenos) to taste
  • 1 lime 
  • pinch of salt
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Lightly mash avocado with wooden spoon and squeeze the juice from half the lime over it to prevent browning 
  2. In mini food chopper (or processor), add all other ingredients except red pepper and salt
  3. Pulse several times until the cilantro and onion are the texture you prefer
  4. Add the red pepper strips and pulse a few more times
  5. Taste dip and if needed, add optional salt to taste (I use lime salt sometimes)
This stuff is so good that I find myself thinking of ways I can use it in other dishes.  And I thought the stuff at Chipotle was tops up until now....yea for easy homemade recipes!   

Gluten-free in a pandemic? No problem!

Not to make light of the current situation the world finds itself in, but I'm so thankful that I learned to self isolate when I was diag...