Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Sprinkles comes to the ATL

Sprinkles is often credited with starting the cupcake craze in NYC several years ago.  They've opened various locations in the U.S. and finally came down South to Atlanta.  I found out about the store opening through Kelly's blog post.

Since we were heading downtown to the Dogwood Festival a while back, we popped into Sprinkles (located at Lenox Square near the front door) for a treat-to-go on the way home.  The place was buzzing with activity and the staff seemed somewhat overwhelmed (and under-trained).  The only gluten-free flavor they currently offer is the red velvet flavor (also offered in a gluten version).  Since I'm used to choosing from maybe six flavors at Gigi's in Norcross (available six days a week!), it was disappointing to have no choice at all at Sprinkles.

After I placed my order for one cupcake to-go, I overheard the person who rang my ticket up ask what my order meant...the order taker explained it was a gluten-free cupcake.  I paid and then waited for someone to bring the already bagged cupcake to the counter.  I looked inside to see a G on top which indicates the item is gluten-free.  I love the fact that there is not a mountain of frosting on the cupcakes at Sprinkles.  I LOVED the cream cheese frosting on the cupcake - it was seriously amazing!  Unfortunately, the cake part was slightly dry and crumbly (though I've had much worse) and had very little flavor to it.  I would not purchase it again unless someone told me they improved the recipe to be much more moist and flavorful.

Since Kelly's post about the cupcake ATM indicated that gluten-free cupcakes were available that way, I checked out the machine outside the store in Atlanta.  At least the day we were there, the one gluten-free cupcake option was not listed on the ATM menu.  Maybe the gluten-free cupcakes are so popular that they ran out of them in the machine...I don't know.  The staff was so busy that I would have had to wait a while to ask them about this so I didn't bother.

It's great that Sprinkles has a gluten-free option and the shop itself is simply darling.  I love the concept of the cupcake ATM and I really wish I could say I loved the gluten-free cupcake, too.  Hopefully, most gluten-free patrons enjoy them as that could lead to the company choosing to offer other gluten-free flavors.

Thankfully, if I'm in the mood for a sweet treat at Lenox in the future, the macaron kiosk just down the mall has amazing options - all of which are gluten-free!

Gluten-free in a pandemic? No problem!

Not to make light of the current situation the world finds itself in, but I'm so thankful that I learned to self isolate when I was diag...