Monday, August 11, 2014

Pineapple salsa recipe

This summer, it's been as hot in the ATL and as in previous years.  (The past two summers were very temperate here for whatever reason)  The month of August is usually extra muggy and that makes it feel even warmer than it actually is.  UGH!!!

In looking at some ingredients I had on hand the other day, I was inspired to make something refreshing.  Pineapple salsa seemed to fit the bill perfectly and though I've made it before, this recipe is different and most definitely more delicious than any other version I've made or had!

Pineapple Salsa

INGREDIENTS:  

  • 1 cup cubed pineapple, drained (canned [in water] or fresh)
  • 1/4 white or yellow onion (green onion will work)
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
  • dash of coconut aminos (or gf soy sauce)
  • dash of lime juice
  • 4-5 strips of roasted red pepper
  • pinch of salt (optional) 


INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. put all ingredients except peppers and salt into a food processor (3-cup bowl works great!) 
  2. with lid on tight, pulse a few times to get the consistency you prefer
  3. when unit is not running, remove lid and throw in red pepper strips
  4. secure lid and pulse a few more times, enough to incorporate peppers well
  5. remove lid to taste, add a pinch of salt (if desired) and pulse a few more times to finish the salsa prep 
We used this salsa on top of grilled fish for dinner.  The light, fresh and slightly tropical flavor reminds me of fresh salsas often used in seafood dishes in the Caribbean.  Yes - it's really that flavorful!  Even though I was tempted to eat the delightful leftover salsa with a spoon for dessert, I decided to think of a way to use it in another meal instead.  

While contemplating making Mediterranean tuna salad (similar to the version at Zoe's Kitchen) the next day for lunch, I remembered the salsa and changed gears.  I simply mixed up the packet of tuna with the rest of the salsa and then served it over a fresh spinach salad.  It was definitely different for tuna salad, but in a very tasty way!  The next time I make this it will be a topping for grilled fish tacos....or sliced marinated grilled chicken...oh yeah!

*This recipe is obviously gluten-free, but it also happens to be free of dairy, soy (sub coconut aminos) and added sugar, too!   

Gluten-free in a pandemic? No problem!

Not to make light of the current situation the world finds itself in, but I'm so thankful that I learned to self isolate when I was diag...